The term for this healing method or modality is called “Cord Cutting,” but is also known by another name: Soul Retrieval.
It is thought that during our current and past lifetimes, people and situations become psychically linked through what are known as cords of attachment. These cords, in their natural state, are neither positive nor negative, but wholly dependent on the person or situation making the attachment. They can feel like heavy chains that keep us addicted to people, things, and situations.
Energetic Cords are tricky and can attach themselves to the different chakras and layers of our aura, which is why it is so important to have a good understanding of the Anatomy of the Light Body. Once you know the auric anatomy, you can pinpoint the cord much, much quicker and more effectively. For example, if Sally is dealing with an ex-boyfriend whom she loved but he ended up betraying her by being with someone else, then you know that the cord is probably attached to both the Heart Chakra (our sense of Love), the Solar Plexus Chakra (our sense of Power), as well as the Sacral Chakra, since it was a (presumably) sexual relationship.
In another example, if Jim is plagued by food addiction, then we know that the cord is most likely attached to his Root Chakra (our sense of Survival, or idea of “lack” versus “abundance”) and the Throat Chakra because he would rather eat than discuss his feelings (since it is located in the physical area where the mouth is).
Top 5 Reasons People Cut Energetic Cords
1. The top most reason.. ex’s! Ex-boyfriends or girlfriends, ex-lovers — people who have shared intimacy and were for some reason betrayed or hurt, unable to resolve the unfinished business and let go of that person. Clients tell me they will dream about past boyfriends or girlfriends, exes or might see or hear their ex’s name several times over the course of a short period. Sometimes, I may even have a client who is literally being stalked by an ex. I always remind my clients to take legal action in conjunction with healing, if this is a case that calls for it and you sense it goes further beyond the spiritual realm.
2. When dealing with bereavements, such as the loss of a family member or a beloved pet/friend. People will grieve in their own way and in their own time, but after a time some losses may be more difficult to let go than others. Cord cutting can help heal a grieving heart by allowing the client to resolve unfinished business and say goodbye one final time. In this case, the client is cutting cords with grief, and maybe not with the person or pet they lost, but the crippling depression.
3. Addiction. Not just limited to people, clients can form negative energetic attachments to food, alcohol, drugs, and more. I always advise my clients to seek medical help for their issue of addiction. Sidenote: Be careful working with people who are addicted to hard drugs such as cocaine, heroin, alcohol or illegal consumption of prescription medications. They are ill and unable to provide an equal energy exchange in most cases. Be firm in your boundaries as they can be unpredictable and unconsciously become energy vampires. Sometimes, people just need that extra spiritual push to give something up that is hurting them in the long run. They need a moment to be distracted from themselves long enough to do some clear thinking about how their actions are betraying them and stealing their life force. This method works best when dealing with addictions such as overeating, cigarette smoking, and light drinking. I do not work with hardcore addicts without the supervision of several family members.
4. Physical and sexual abuse. Anytime someone is coerced to do something against their will, or another person uses their physical power in an effort to control the person, a negative cord can be attached between the two. I always advise my clients to seek professional help from a licensed psychiatrist or psychologist when dealing with the aftermath of abuse.
5. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from witnessing trauma. Many people, all over the world, witness amazing (and hurtful) situations take place. From a small child witnessing domestic abuse with his parents, or being an innocent bystander during an accident, to a military professional witnessing acts of war. There are many different ways witnessing traumatic experiences can have a long-lasting negative impact on our psyche, even when we personally had nothing to do with the event itself. Taking a client through a Cord Cutting session allows them the opportunity to master their fear.
For extreme cases of PTSD, it is wise to have a family member, family doctor/psychologist, or spouse there to assist you in case the client is triggered and becomes irrational. It’s not their fault – but you should be prepared for this scenario. If or when this happens, know that it is time to end the session immediately and seek medical help right away.
Holding onto any of these 5 people or situations will only make us shrink in fear – restricting our spiritual and personal development, and hold us back. By using the Cord Cutting healing method, you can effectively work through these blocks and finally let the bad stuff go.
The two Archangels we will be working with closely in cord cutting is Saint Michael the Archangel and Archangel Raphael – probably two of the most well-known Archangels to date!
Saint Michael the Archangel is considered to be the bouncer of Earth. In biblical times, they didn’t have superheroes or comic books – instead, they had Angels! Michael is the patron Angel of firefighters, military professionals, police officers and anyone else who is protecting the innocent from harm. He watches out for those who are in vulnerable situations or need to break free from harm.
A quote from Doreen Virtue’s Archangels 101 states, “Ancient and modern artwork portray Michael as a muscular, athletic archangel with intensely powerful facial expressions and body language. Usually, he’s painted with his sword poised above a pinned-down demon. This is to signify Michael’s primary purpose of slaying the ego and fear. His sword is actually made of light instead of metal, and is used to detach us from the grips of fear. Michael knows that if we aren’t afraid, we’re at peace.”
Michael assists us in becoming more aligned with the flow of the Universe, and in less of a resistant state. You know the old saying, “what you resist, persists,” so really, Michael helps us reset our fear-based thoughts so that our mind can begin working properly again.
The next Archangel we will discuss in this post is Archangel Raphael, the wandering healer. He is the patron Archangel of doctors, physicians, medicine women and men, and healers of all kinds. Lesser known is his association with travelers. We often times become ill from traveling, so Raphael assists us with immunity boosting effects to ensure we keep our stamina and health while traveling.
So think about Michael swooping in and breaking down our blocks with his flaming sword of Light. There’s going to be some destruction and rebuilding. After the blockages are removed, then we must go in and repair the damage that was done with Archangel Raphael. Raphael often works in tandem with Archangel Michael to clear away fear and stress, which are major factors affecting health; as well as restore the light body and therefore, the physical body may begin to heal.
Something else to keep in mind is that we can also cut cords from past lives. So if you have some irrational fears that you feel are stemming from past life trauma and you’ve done a reading with a professional to uncover the details of the situation, you can sever any karmic contracts that have followed you into this current incarnation. Check out my blog post on Healing Ancestral Karma.